There’s a strange divide in the world of fibre arts. I see it all the time on Ravelry forums and have heard of it in person too.
“Oh, I don’t crochet. I’m a knitter.”
“Knitting isn’t for me, I’ll stick to crochet.”
Why? I get it, hobbies differ and that’s fine. But crochet and knitting are similar enough to be basically the same hobby and I don’t understand the snobbish attitude of some knitters that crochet is inferior or the underdog syndrome some crocheters seem to harvest. They complement each other. At the very least, knitters benefit from knowing how to wield a crochet hook.
I’ll admit, I have different reasons why I love each of them.
I prefer knitting because…
- The fabric it creates is better.
- There are more patterns available.
- The rows of stitches lined up are beautiful.
I prefer crochet because…
- Complicated-looking stitches are super easy.
- It’s much faster.
- It’s really easy to fix mistakes and fudge it.
Why isn’t there a huge divide between knitting and weaving? Crochet and spinning? Why these two crafts?
I know a few crocheters who are too shy to go to knitting groups. Honestly, I can see why; at least once in one of my previous knitting groups I listened to a diatribe against crocheters before casually holding up my hook. Mostly people don’t care. Knitting groups are named that because it is the dominant yarn-based hobby, but generally any associated crafts are welcome. Don’t let that myth get you down; the woman I met was only joking and apologised straight away.
Personally I am pro-equality when it comes to bicraftuality. Why discriminate? Multi-craftual folk are sexy, don’t deny it. There’s nothing like a spinner who can also weave. Let’s embrace all of the fibre arts.
Yes, even felt artists.
- From a knitter learning to Crochet…to you! (amaryngrace.wordpress.com)
- New Crochet Necklaces and Crochet Earring! (zozosspace.wordpress.com)
- Creative Crafts Group Launches Brand New List: Love of Crochet (prweb.com)
- Knitting for Peace and dementia (tiggerrenewing.wordpress.com)
- Nine Months Of… Crochet (Week 4) (thefamilypatch.com)
- A new hobby. (bonafidebirthmother.wordpress.com)