The perfect thing for a mild-then-brutal winter in Southern Ontario? Doctor Who binges. Yep, in the past month or two I have fired up my Shomi account and watched the first five-and-a-half seasons of Doctor Who in quick succession.
Things I have learned from this viewing:
- I don’t actually like Ten all that much, except with Donna.
- Eleven is my favourite Doctor. Yeah, I know.
- Donna and the Ponds are my favourite companions.
- I would run away with River Song, no hesitation. Even if the Doctor was also inviting me and giving me the sadface.
- Lots of incongruous things sound like the TARDIS when you’re walking along at night.
One thing I love about Doctor Who fans is how creative they (we?) are. It does help that it’s a fandom that has so many remarkably recognisable motifs, but I like to believe that close exposure to the TARDIS fires up unused synapses.
In honour of the wondrous Time Lord and all his cast of amazing people, here are some things to make your life even cosier: handknit socks. Doctor Who handknit sock patterns, even.
Don’t say I don’t spoil you, Whovian knitters.
by Audrey Nicklin
by Anna Richardson
by Heidi Nick
Tune in next Wednesday to see more excellent Doctor Who socks.
Because there are so many more. Seriously. We Whovians like toasty toes.